"Once is not enough"
- Mountain Highs
- Medieval Cities & Sacred Sites
- Travel Nirvana
- Jungle Adventures
Important cities: Bhaktapur, Biratnagar, Birgunj, Boudhanath, Janakpur, Rajbiraj, Namche Bazaar, Nepalgunj, Patan
Currency: Nepalese rupee (NPR)
Visa policy: Link
Area: 147,181 km2
Mobile Phone: NTC (Nepali Telecom Company) and Ncell are the main operators. SIM cards are available at these operators.
Country code: +977
Internet TLD: .np
Time Zone: UTC+5:45
Sources: Lonely Planet, Wikipedia, Wikitravel
Description: Nepal has a Monsoonal climate with four main seasons - though traditionally a year was categorized into six distinct climate periods: Basanta (spring), Grishma (early summer), Barkha (summer monsoon), Sharad (early autumn), Hemanta (late autumn) and Shishir (winter). Below is a general guide to conditions at different seasons:
- Heavy monsoonal rains from June to September - the rains are generally lighter high in the Himalayas than in Kathmandu, though the mountain peaks are often not visible due to clouds. In the Kathmandu Valley & Pokhara - monsoon rains typically consist of an hour or two of rain every two or three days. The rains clean the air, streets, & cool the air. If you come, bring an umbrella, expect lower lodging prices & fewer tourists.
- Clear and cool weather from October to December - after the monsoon, there is little dust in the air so this is the best season to visit the hilly and mountainous regions.
- Cold from January to March, with the temperature in Kathmandu often dropping as low as 0°C at night, with extreme cold at high elevations. It is possible to trek in places like the Everest region during the winter, but it is extremely cold and snow fall may prevent going above 4,000 - 4,500 m. The Jomosom trek is a reasonable alternative, staying below 3,000 m with expected minimum temperatures about -10°C (and much better chances of avoiding heavy snow.)
- Dry and warm weather from April to June - there is an abundance of blooming flowers in the Himalayas at this time, with rhododendrons, in particular, adding a splash of colour to the landscape. Terai temperatures may reach or exceed 40°C while Kathmandu temperatures are about 30°C. This is the best time to undertake mountain expeditions.
When should you go: Trekkers should go to Nepal from March to April and from October to November.